photo Blog_Header_zps57c9086d.png  photo Blog_Nav_Journal_zpse1d0be57.png photo Blog_Nav_OurFamily_zps98b06106.png photo Blog_Nav_WellWorn_zps205b1fdf.png photo Blog_Nav_Favorites_zps1161e1b4.png photo Blog_Nav_LearningLinks_zps7d1e6335.png

Saturday, October 23, 2010

lullaby

I do not wish you joy without a sorrow,
Nor endless day without the healing dark,
Nor brilliant sun without the restful shadow,
Nor tides that never turn against your back.

I wish you love, faith, strength, and wisdom,
Goods, gold enough to help some needy one,
I wish you songs, but also blessed silence,
And God's sweet peace when every day is done.


I heard this song years ago from a New Zealander who told me it was a national lullaby. Since then I've searched a bit online and only found it credited to Anonymous or a Hallmark card. Poor unrecognized New Zealander...

The tune is magical and I love that our kids tend to quiet down well when they hear these words, this melody beginning. A sweet prayer, blessing, to rest our eyes and hearts with at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment