photo Blog_Header_zps57c9086d.png  photo Blog_Nav_Journal_zpse1d0be57.png photo Blog_Nav_OurFamily_zps98b06106.png photo Blog_Nav_WellWorn_zps205b1fdf.png photo Blog_Nav_Favorites_zps1161e1b4.png photo Blog_Nav_LearningLinks_zps7d1e6335.png

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Capturing

I’ve heard from enough more experienced moms these words about enjoying our kiddos' little years.  It must be important.  I know it is... It must be worth some special attention because without it, these moments would probably fly by unmentioned and unremembered. What a loss that would be!

Some wise one also advised me before our wedding,  "Capture these moments.  Take pictures with your mind and in your heart."  Thank you, whoever you are.   I remember the birds were singing and the sky was bright as we said our vows and worshipped and slipped rings on each others fingers.  So grateful for that picture woven deep...
I don’t want to let these precious days pass by, these chapters of preschool vigor and virtue and bravery and beauty beyond any fairy tale I’ve ever read...  I don’t want them to slip away unappreciated, unnoticed, unrecognized for the tremendous gifts that they are, tremendous gifts from our Incredible Giver.  
Here are some of our recent moments to capture and gladly recount...
~ going down the slide backward
~ John's pat on the back when Isaiah slipped off his chair (that he had been rocking backwards in)


~ John coming up behind Isaiah inviting,  "Han(d)", and the big guy's pride in leading his little bro for a walk this evening.
~ her “piano solos” on the bunk bed ladder and accompaniment for her lively renditions of “Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be his holious name.”
~ John (17 months) bowing his head and mumbling “da da da...  A me(n).” and reaching for food.  Or sometimes, as soon as he’s put in his high chair he’ll skip the prayer and just announce “A me” and starting pointing for what he wants...


~ foam and taped-together plastic swords, more bravery displayed and a longer nap than usual for the hour + swordfight that our kids enjoyed with guests last night. 
~ Isaiah’s valor last week:  I didn’t want to load John in the stroller to walk the big kids to school when I realized he was quite ill.  So I bundled up the big two quick and left John strapped in the high chair as soon as I heard a neighbor kids’ voice downstairs.  I shot out of the elevator like a bullet, trying to chase down this nice grandma who was walking Marian’s classmate to school.  I was running, Isaiah (4.5) behind, Marian (3), in the tail, crying “Mama, don’t leave me!”  I stopped to reassure her, kissed her quick and took off again, little boy waiting alone in the high chair.  As we were running, my big- has he ever been bigger than this?-  boy yelled back “I’ll take care of you Marian.  Don’t worry, I’ll take care of you!”
~ her joy-filled laugh at the first feel of the swing beneath her.... the thrill of her voice, that victorious exhilaration 
~ our little guy’s insistence to snuggle on mama’s lap with a toy, his Moses bear (and the blanket that goes by the same name), and a cup of milk for those first groggy minutes post nap.... 

~ how that time today included a bite of orange cake for each of us and scripture memory work for mama to the tunes of Dora’s music player.  
~ the little one inside me, today giving my belly the feel of round ripening fullness.  Grateful for this stretching, this bursting new life inside me.  Much more distinct movements lately...  so excited to meet you, little one!
~ for Matt’s first feel of this baby’s movements....  and his cheer and pride and anticipation for this little one.
~ John’s snorty smile when he sees a new cup of milk being filled for him
~ and how he hasn’t figured out yet how to get around the blankets laid over the bunk bed ladder to deter his upward exploration

~ inspiration to grow in gratitude and enjoying every moment.  So grateful for this mentor who so faithfully inspires!
~ starfall.com and our two big kids who read aloud with the story
~ heat, we are mindful that so many here don’t have stable heat, or only heat that pollutes their homes and lungs.
~ a chance to help a friend in a special way that my mama helped me
~ a local friends’ inexpressible delight in her two foster kids (whom she’s loved and served for 14 and 15 years) who are severely handicapped: cannot speak, eat, go to the bathroom on their own.  She loves them and she radiates Christ’s joy as she lights up talking about them.  (She lives in a coal-heated home, where the rains wash over her floors when they fall hard.  Her husband is the leader of a small, rural fellowship of believers and their only regular income is what she earns helping us- washing dishes after guests and watching John- whom she also delights in- while mama studies.  They have very little in this world and they are so very, lastingly!, rich. Pure inspiration to us.)  (I can't believe I let another day slip by without snapping a pic of this beautiful friend.  Try, pregnant head, to remember!)
~ dinner in our home with super fun friends whose holiday last week reminds them of a need for sacrifice for sins... and the chance to proclaim The Perfect Sacrifice.
~ that I get to share my days, these children, this God, this life, with such a man as I’ve been given.  He truly is my best friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment