photo Blog_Header_zps57c9086d.png  photo Blog_Nav_Journal_zpse1d0be57.png photo Blog_Nav_OurFamily_zps98b06106.png photo Blog_Nav_WellWorn_zps205b1fdf.png photo Blog_Nav_Favorites_zps1161e1b4.png photo Blog_Nav_LearningLinks_zps7d1e6335.png

Friday, May 7, 2010

Self Control: Conviction’s Sweet Fruit

I’ve always known self control is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5) and generally a good thing. I’ve known that I need to apply self control if I go shopping. I can’t spend money that isn’t budgeted, that we don’t have. Regarding brownies, I know I need to limit myself to three (or four) servings and no more (I’m a nursing mom!). But honestly, that’s about all I’d considered as application for this virtue in my life. Of course I would have said I want to be self-controlled... but really, what shape would that take in my life?

For several months, the Lord has seemed to bring this virtue before my eyes, convicting my heart for it. I need it badly for life and growth.

Some specific areas for self control:
  • in my relationship and communication with my husband
  • for disciplining and instructing our kids
  • in my thought life- not dwelling on what I wish I would have said, how I could defend myself, what I think she meant by that, or how I could twist that situation for my good or for my pity.
Matt and I really value blessing our kids with discipline (though sometimes you might not guess it if you were to watch them- oh for grace!). We want to train them to make it their aim to please the Lord and to know and do what is right and good. We don’t think they’ll stumble upon it apart from clear direction and instruction from the Word of God.

Being disciplined to learn skills and study to know the world will open up worlds of freedom and beauty for them. Just like the splendor created by a diligently practiced pianist isn’t free to lazy takers. We want this kind of heart and skills for our kiddos and we’re willing to work for it.

And just as this kind of discipline for our kids bears good fruit, I am seeing self-control bear sweet fruit for my own heart and in our home. Oh for more of this sweet grace, Lord!

In the next several days, I’ll be posting about a few of these areas, as a way of public accountability. I welcome your fellowship to walk towards more of Christ in this way together.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Jill. Ones that I really needed to read. I am with you in this struggle and will be thinking on what you said.

    ReplyDelete