photo Blog_Header_zps57c9086d.png  photo Blog_Nav_Journal_zpse1d0be57.png photo Blog_Nav_OurFamily_zps98b06106.png photo Blog_Nav_WellWorn_zps205b1fdf.png photo Blog_Nav_Favorites_zps1161e1b4.png photo Blog_Nav_LearningLinks_zps7d1e6335.png

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

a new school!

We are amazed with the incredible grace that God has given to our kids for all the transition they've been through in the past few months. We have the most amazing God and he has so graciously helped our kids. We are so grateful!

When we left the capital city, our kids were solidly confident to enjoy their morning preschool routine all in the local language. But 5 months in the states left them unwilling to speak anything (they understand lots but want to answer in English or with gestures.) Isaiah often reminds us that he lost his Chinese but he's started adding to it, "but I might find it at school."

Monday morning I sat with them for about an hour of class and it did not go too smoothly. I thought that the next morning when we dropped them off for a day on their own, it was going to be BAD.

Matt dropped them off the next morning and I picked them up at noon. The teachers all rejoiced with me "They did great. Isaiah didn't even cry a little bit and Marian was all done crying in just a minute or two."

One teacher asked me what I said to them the day before because she saw how difficult that first day- when I accompanied them- was. I told her I didn't really say anything to them, but I prayed and asked God to protect and encourage and help them both and he clearly did!

Another spectacular piece of this is that for this one week, Isaiah and Marian are in the same class. There's no other time when they would have been put in the same class except this week. There are so few students at school right now because most are still staying with family as they wrap up their New Years celebration time. What a perfect transition for them to get to be with each other as they adjust to their new school and this kind-of new language for them.

Here's a few recent pics...

the 2 block walk to school


I'm not sure of any details for this- but it's probably a part of continued New Years celebrations- this parade of approx 100 people marched through our apartment complex with drums and gongs blaring. I took this photo of Confucious et al, from our kitchen window.

If you've ever spent time with our kids when they're anywhere near a few pillows, you probably know they are expert Pillow Pool builders. I love that John can hold his own, "swimming" with the big kids that he loves. This baby boy is such a sweetheart!

Here's "Jericho" all crashed down around Marian

2 comments:

  1. oh Jill, what an encouraging post to read! God is so good to take care of our children!

    Lydia starts on Tuesday - her first time ever, same school as her big sis. They're classrooms are next door to each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, right after I sent my last comment, I noticed the pagoda looking thing in your blog photo (duh) and I thought it must be China...or somewhere Asian. Ta-Da! I've got my answer. :)

    ReplyDelete