photo Blog_Header_zps57c9086d.png  photo Blog_Nav_Journal_zpse1d0be57.png photo Blog_Nav_OurFamily_zps98b06106.png photo Blog_Nav_WellWorn_zps205b1fdf.png photo Blog_Nav_Favorites_zps1161e1b4.png photo Blog_Nav_LearningLinks_zps7d1e6335.png

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

here we go Charlotte!

This summer I've been reading "For the Children's Sake" by Susan Shaeffer Macaulay. Fantastically exciting and inspiring. I love the way this educational philosophy is rooted in a view of God's goodness to make us for his glory... He's given us brains to use them excellently- sparking wonder, curiosity, exploration, imagination, adventure, discovery in learning- to know the world He has made. The whole book is about Charlotte Mason's educational ideas and I think her ideas would be extraordinary to see slipped into the educational system in this country. I am super excited for them to be used as much of the foundation for the education of our kids in our home.

Charlotte Mason stresses the importance and greatness of encouraging kids to be explorers of their world. When we were outside last week we came across this dragon fly that I think had just died. I thought several times he might still be alive and I was a nervous giddy kid to pick up this beautiful creature.... he'll be the first specimen in some sort of a bug collection we get going eventually... (I hope!)

2 comments:

  1. What a good mom you are collecting bugs with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benjamin tried to take a squished grasshopper home from the church parking lot this week. I wouldn't let him... Maybe I should read this book! :) Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete